Friday, August 15, 2008

Dan Deacon: Detroit "Wham City"


While I'm not a huge fan of Dan Deacon, he came out with some intriguing news this week. Deacon plans on taking his electronic show on tour with other Baltimore-based artists as a "round robin" fiesta. Basically, there are going to be multiple stages lined up along the perimeter of a venue, with audience in the middle. A band will perform one song, then the next band will perform a song, etc. There will be two shows ("Eyes Night" and "Feet Night") each in 7 cities. Sounds like a very interesting whirlwind of fun. If I was ever going to check him out in person, this might be a good time to do it.

My only experience with Dan Deacon has been a few Myspace hits, Pitchfork love and walking into the end of his set before Girl Talk at Metro. When I said I walked in, I actually meant stumble because he was performing in the center of the dance floor and I almost ran into the man himself (Green skull and all).

The only bands I recognized were Deacon, Beach House and the Death Set, but the rest are listed here.

The insanity takes place in Detroit on 10/8 and 10/9 at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Someone take some hallucinogenics and let me know how it goes.

Dan Deacon - The Crystal Cat

No comments: